Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Bolex 160 Macrozoom

  1. #1
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well curiosity got the better of me and I finally bought one off Ebay (still haven't recieved it yet,anyone ever buy anything from isoldit out of Goleta,Ca?).Just want to know if anyone has any experience with this camera.My only complaint is the lack of a manual over ride on the iris.Is that something that maybe someone could modify?If so,who does it?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Bolex 160 is that cool looking camera that looks like a space weapon. I've never owned one. I think there is another Bolex with a similar number that may or may not have manual exposure override.

    I think the camera is popular for single frame work.
    Please let us know what you think of the camera.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I will,thanks.I've used Bolexes in 16mm and regular 8mm but never in super 8.I'm anxious to see how well it works.Can't say I'm stoked about the people I bought it from.It's been almost three weeks since I sent the money in.Anyone ever buy anything from isoldit.com?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK,it just came today.Sweet little camera,intriguing design.I had it deleivered at work (I work at a TV station),showing it to these young guys who weren't around when super 8 was in it's heyday (shoot,most of these guys weren't even around for 3/4 inch video) was a hoot.Still got me puzzled.The specs say the auto iris is rated for ASA 40 to 160 which is fine for Kodachrome,Plus X or Tri X,but what if I want to try shooting neg?There is no readout that tells me what iris setting I'm on.Just wondering how I can fool the iris lock into the setting it to the stop I want.Any suggestions?

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you try shooting negative then the 200 ASA neg should fine rated at 160. Many people believe that slight overexposure for negative stocks creates a "thicker negative" (more of the silver halides are exposed by light) which then leads to more dynamic range in telecine.

    So your question is a good one but only applies to ASA 500 stock. Have you checked to make sure there is no secret compartment for a battery for the exposure meter?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes.It takes two watch batteries that power the meter and apparently the auto iris.They must run in tandem,the camera won't run unless the meter batteries are functioning.Either that or there is a problem with the camera.Just loaded the 4 AA's and the motor won't fire.Hope that's what it is.Anyway,I got to thinking if I shoot 400 or 500,I could use whatever appropriate ND filter would knock it down to what's readable to the camera.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The ND thing is sort of a Mexican standoff.

    If you decide to use the ND, you would first meter without the filter, lock the exposure, then attach the ND (one stop ND would probably be perfect for 500 ASA negative).

    The bummer with this arrangement is you are always open one extra stop than is necessary and the viewfinder will always be darker because of the ND filter.

    Other than those two issues, it should work.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Anyone got any hot tips on DIY repair?The motor won't fire.Power zoom works,but it won't shoot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •